Ordinance No. 06/2013/UBTVQH13 dated March 18, 2013 of the Standing Committee of National Assembly, amending and supplementing a number of articles of the ordinance on foreign exchange control (10 pages)
The Amended Foreign Exchange (FX) Ordinance focuses on several issues for investors such as: read more
1. Investor’s Rights and Obligations:
• Stricter regulation on foreign currency use in Vietnam: Residents and non-residents must specify the cost of all transactions, “payments, price listings, advertisings, evaluating and quotations” in VND, whereas, currently, only transactions such as payments, price listing and advertising are restricted activities.
• New provision on indirect investment accounts: Non-residents investors must open an indirect investment account in VND to conduct their investments in Vietnam, and convert all of their indirect investment amounts from foreign currency into VND via such account. Currently, indirect investors must only make the conversion in VND through authorized credit institutions.
• Capital sources for overseas investments are no longer limited and investors may use all legal capital sources at their disposal.
• A guarantee for overseas and non-resident loans is no longer limited to credit institutions, but open to economic organizations such as enterprises or cooperatives, except for export goods and deferred payment services requiring the Prime Minister’s approval.
2. Competent authorities’ responsibilities:
• Wider control of the State Bank of Vietnam (“SBV”): which will control overseas gold accounts of residents in addition to gold import/export activities under the current regulation;
• More visibility on foreign currency management: the Government and the SBV must periodically report to the National Assembly Standing Committee about the result of their management of foreign exchange.
The Amended FX Ordinance does not bring major changes to foreign exchange controls. It mainly provides clarification of terms and wording of the current rules. Nevertheless, it brings additional restrictions on foreign currency use in Vietnam and is expected to enhance commercial activities in VND.
This Ordinance takes effect on January 01, 2014 and also annul Article 38 of Ordinance on foreign exchange No. 28/2005/PL-UBTVQH11 .
Leave your request into the following form and click SEND REQUEST button
Your request will be soon processed and replied within next working day or earlier
+84 (028) 3831 5725 /26 /27 (3 lines)
7/17 Street No. 44, Go Vap Dist. HCMC, Vietnam
Coming to effect soon
Amended and/or supplemented
Coming to expire soon
Expired and replaced